Administrative Assistant III - 16841
University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery
Administrative Assistant III
Position #757043 – Requisition 16841
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Administrative Assistant III position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:
The Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery is a Division within the Department of Surgery at the University of Colorado, School of Medicine with a mission of patient care, medical education, and research. The Section of Cardiothoracic Surgery Administrative Assistant III (1.0 FTE), is primarily responsible for providing administrative support to the Chief and faculty of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
This position requires knowledge and experience in business administration with an emphasis on relationship development and process improvement. The individual in this position will be required to exercise excellent prioritization, communication, and customer service skills. Position must possess ability to successfully manage competing and changing priorities. An individual with solid business/academic/research administrative skills, a commitment to excellence, and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, technical, and evolving environment will thrive in our division.
Working under the direction and guidance of the Division Manager, the Administrative Assistant III is the senior level administrative support to the Faculty of the rapidly growing division. Administrative Assistant III will communicate, document and support various Faculty efforts and in doing so will maintain relationships with various personnel throughout the School of Medicine and Affiliate Hospitals. Administrative Assistant III must exercise critical judgement and considerable initiative in administrative management.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provides administrative support to the assigned faculty within the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery including such things as communicating with referring physicians and patients, scheduling and maintaining calendars, arranging payment and/or reimbursements for professional expenses, greeting/assisting visitors, contact management (phone, email, and regular mail), transcription, and other administrative duties.
- Demonstrates a professional demeanor with tact and diplomacy in handling of a variety of sensitive and confidential issues. Represents and works effectively with all internal and external constituents by phone, email and in person.
- Anticipates the needs of the office by independently researching and determining the appropriate documents, reports, and policies needed for meetings.
- Responsible for daily independent decision-making and problem resolution to reflect best interest of the assigned Faculty and the division. Determines the priorities of constituent issues and problems, handles directly or refers problems and issues to appropriate individual; follow-up phone calls, email and mail; further utilizes this knowledge to organize and route all correspondence appropriately.
- Assists assigned Faculty with licensure and credentialing activities.
- Assists with presentation preparation, responsible for meeting logistics, including room scheduling, AV, copies of materials, and coordinating speaker itineraries.
- Develops a working knowledge of each of the assigned faculty member’s priorities for scheduling meetings. Effectively communicate to accommodate the needs of the assigned Faculty.
- Maintains Chief and faculty CV, various web-based profiles, and promotional portfolios, which includes dossier support, organization, and facilitation.
- Handles sensitive and confidential issues in a professional manner.
Accounting and Finance:
- Provides procurement services, travel reimbursement, and allocation for assigned faculty in Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Serves as a fiscal staff member for Cardiothoracic Surgery and coordinates other procurement related activities and policies, including purchase orders, payment vouchers, INs and a variety of other instruments in both the State and CU Medicine fiscal systems.
- Provides expertise and training in purchasing activities, including purchasing responsibilities and adherence to purchasing policy, to faculty and staff.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- Three (3) years of general office/clerical work experience which included providing internal and external customer service, i.e., greeting customers, answering phones, etc.
Substitution: College, university or non-correspondence business school course work may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the general experience, but not for the specific experience.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, healthcare administration, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Experience working with a variety of computer program relevant to finance, budgeting, patient accounting and other business programs (PeopleSoft, Cognos, IDX, AX and Microsoft Office software).
- Experience providing administrative assistance and working knowledge of higher education and/or healthcare policies and processes.
- Experience creating and maintaining both electronic and manual filing systems.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Ability to produce accurate and timely work products.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise appropriate discretion with information.
- Knowledge of standard accounting procedures and basic math skills.
- Familiarity with HIPAA requirements.
- Must be able to work independently, and be flexible and be able to maintain positive working relationship.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to provide excellent customer service, while ensuring fiscal compliance and rules adherence.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors.
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants: *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Rachael O'Donnell at Rachael.ODonnell@ucdenver.edu. Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References Application Materials Instructions: APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- DENVER & ANSCHUTZ MED CAMPUS - 20314 - SOM-SRG-CT Clinical
Posting Date: Jul 25, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rachael O'Donnell
Posting Contact Email: Rachael.ODonnell@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00757043